Meaningful conversations have changed my life. I long for them. You can create an environment where meaningful discussions are more likely to occur. Great questions are a part of creating this environment.
The benefits to meaningful conversations include…
• Tense family relationships can be restored
• Gaining empathy for, and liking, someone you disliked
• Insight into your strengths and potential
• Inspiration to pursue goals you never thought possible
• Getting back on the right path and focusing on the right things
Meaningful conversations almost always start with a great question. I have spent significant time figuring out what questions get people to open up and talk, and here are 20 of my favorites.
“A conversation is a dialogue, not a monologue. That’s why there are so few good conversations: due to scarcity, two intelligent talkers seldom meet.” – Truman Capote
20 Powerful Questions
- What is a positive habit you would like to establish?
- How have you learned from a mistake? What mistake?
- What do you like about yourself?
- What would you do if you were 10 times bolder?
- What do you want LESS of in your life?
- When was a time in your life that you felt most alive? What were you doing?
- What ENERGIZES you? What DRAINS you?
- What change could you make that would make a big difference?
- How are you stuck (i.e., not making progress)? How can you get unstuck?
- What stops you from doing what you like to do?
- What do you want MORE of in your life?
- What do you wish you were great at?
- What do you NEED to get your life to the next level?
- How can people best encourage you?
- What are your biggest goals right now?
- What do you need to say “No” to more?
- What do you want to do that you haven’t done?
- What positive difference do you want to make?
- How do you want to be remembered when you’re gone?
- What are the toughest decisions for you to make?
If you found this information helpful, SUBSCRIBE TODAY to access my Free video & worksheet, Shatterproof Yourself: 7 Small Steps to a Giant Leap in Your Mental Health.
Purchase The Legacy JarAn Excellent Communication Game & Tool To Strengthen Your Work Team, Family, and Friendships. Includes 108 questions. Check it out!
10 Ways to Validate People You Care About (post) by Adam Gragg
10 Fun Ice Breakers for Work Meetings and Social Events (post) by Adam Gragg
How to Connect with Almost Anyone (post) by Adam Gragg
25 Tips for Strengthening Relationships (post) by Adam Gragg