What is anxiety? It’s a confusing thing. Here’s my best effort at explaining it in understandable language. Understanding something will help you overcome it.
What is Anxiety?
- Something that stifles your intuition & creativity
- Something that steals your ability to trust yourself
- Being consumed by the worst outcome happening
- Being absorbed by bad things that happened in the past
- A false belief that intensity keeps you safe
- A false belief that productivity keeps you safe
- An addictive pattern of avoidance of uncomfortable thoughts and emotions
- Believing your value comes from performing well
- Believing your worth comes from other people liking you
- Something that eliminates the space between stimulus and response
If this topic interests you, read my first post on the subject. Anyone Can Struggle With Anxiety (Part 1)
The Damage of Anxiety
- Causes tunnel vision (narrow perspective)
- Pulls you away from enjoying the present moment
- Keeps you stuck in the past
- Makes you obsessed with controlling things
- Destroys your creativity
- Steals your happiness and joy
A Simple Solution
I had this poem hanging above my desk for many years. Read through it twice. If you take what it says to heart, it will lighten your load.
“Look to this day!
For it is life, the very life of life.
In its brief course
Lie all the verities and realities of your existence;
The bliss of growth
The glory of action
The splendor of beauty
For yesterday is but a dream
And tomorrow is only a vision,
But today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness
And every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Look well, therefore, to this day!
Such is the salutation to the dawn.”
If you found this information helpful, SUBSCRIBE TODAY, and you’ll receive our Free PDF of 50 Great Relationship Building Questions AND our Free Life Balance Tips eBook!
Question: How would you describe anxiety in understandable language?
If you like my style, and found this helpful, SUBSCRIBE TO TUNE UP FOR LIFE. Learn about healthy thinking skills, self concept, life balance, core values, life purpose, goal setting, transformational habits, and more.