10 Questions Sure to Give You a Thankful Attitude
Cultivate Gratitude to Change Your Life for the Better
My days are filled with distractions. If I don’t intensely focus on my most essential tasks, my time gets consumed by time wasters, avoidance, perfectionism, procrastination, and the pressing needs of others. Something that I can do that is never a waste of time is taking 10 minutes for gratitude. This always helps me get focused on the RIGHT things. Creating a habit of gratitude will change your life forever.
Often clients come to me stressed out over things outside their control. I generally ask some questions to challenge their thinking. If I can get their mind focused on gratitude, their dispossession changes from stressed to calm. I would like to mount a GoPro Hero camera to my head to show you their face as this change occurs. It’s truly amazing. They are shifting their focus from emotionally thinking about things outside their control to something inside their sphere of influence.
“I don’t have to chase extraordinary moments to find happiness – it’s right in front of me if I’m paying attention and practicing gratitude.” – Brene Brown
Here are 10 questions that you can ask yourself in order to focus your mind on gratitude. Take no more than a minute to answer each question. Eventually you will see how quickly your mind can shift focus towards what you have rather than what you don’t have.
10 Questions That Lead to a Thankful Attitude
1. What is a unique skill or talent I have?
2. Who is a person in my life I’m blessed to know and why?
3. What is a life experience (good or bad) that has made me a better person?
4. What am I probably taking for granted?
5. What’s a modern convenience I’m thankful for?
6. Something positive about my home environment is _______________ .
7. What is one thing someone has done for me that has improved my life?
8. Who can I thank today and why?
9. What is an opportunity, big or small, that I have ahead of me?
10. Something I have learned recently that has made my life better is _______________ .
Take 10 minutes twice each week for 1 month to answer these 10 questions. Just write down your answers to these questions twice a week for 4 weeks. Print off this article and use it as a worksheet.
“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.” – Melody Beattie
What is your answer to one of the 10 gratitude questions above?